Friday, August 19, 2016

Scourge of War Quatre Bras - Friedrich von Specht's Though Afternoon

Though scenario! It is no joke to patch up the damage that the Duke of Wellington's complete inaction has brought during the crucial hours of June 16th 1815 is no joke. So here I am in the digital version of the saddle of von Specht and his line infantry brigade.

Moving through the town of  Quatre Bras, my first Line Battalion on its way to glory or defeat. In the background, soldiers of the 9th Regiment on Foot (9th Infantry Division).


The mission is to delay the enemy until reinforcements arrive.

Jaggers of the Avant Garde are already in position. My objective area is where the star/sun icon is placed.

Moving troops into contact is not a trivial matter. In games like Scourge of War, where each formation has its own computer controlled commander. Proper coordination will demand enough foresight from the player. In this case,  my brigade arrives piecemeal. The First Line Battalion is in the background, closely followed by the Second (foreground). 

Fortunately, no major damage resulted from my dubious command.One battlion French infantry from the Jamin Brigade was not in better shape and they fell back after a short exchange of fire. My brigade is shown here, deploying as I commanded it.

The French infantry from the Jamin Brigade suffer one push back after another. See them retreating in the near background. In the foreground, the allied Avant Garde moves back into position.

Avant Garde men at Bois de Bossu, from which they helped my brigade with flanking fire.
But the Avant Garde crumbled (see white flag of surrender) and left me with an open right flank.

Right in time, a battalion of the 9th British Infantry Brigade moved into my left flank and deployed. The French Jamin Brigade was trapped inside an L-shaped contour of furious muskets.

But then the battle ended in a defeat for my command.

The final tally of battle. In retrospect, we didn't do that bad. But our failure to deploy timely into our assigned position was a major factor in the final score.

Cheers,







No comments: